A short fur rabbit should be brushed 2-3 times a week and a long fur rabbit should be brushed every 1-2 days. All rabbits will require a monthly grooming routine that includes the following steps:
- Combing out loose fur with a slicker brush
- Combing out matted fur with a flea comb
- Removing fur stains using wet cotton pads and dry with tissue
- Trimming off excess fur using a round-tip grooming scissors (only if you are confident in holding your rabbit and a pair of scissors)
- Clip off clear part of nails while avoiding the kwik (red blood vessel)
- Remove any external ear wax using cotton swabs
- Remove any build-up on their anus scent glands using cotton swabs
As rabbits do not sweat, there is absolutely NO NEED for a healthy rabbit to be given WET BATHS as the sudden change in temperature on their thin skin can cause hypothermal shock. We also do not recommend POWDER BATH as rabbits can ingest the perfumed powder and have stomach issues.
Every rabbit owner should have a grooming kit with the following items:
For first time owners, we recommend engaging a trusted rabbit groomer to guide you through the session. The following are our recommended rabbit-savvy grooming services. Those highlighted with (*) provides in-home option.
*BanjiBunny (mobile service available)
Sharon (8779 4462)
Board Your Bunnies BYB @ Kaki Bukit Ingrid Wee (9114 0704, www.facebook.com/byb.boardyourbunnies)
Bunnify Boarding Service @ Sembawang
Mabel Chan (8774 1766, www.bunnify.com)
*D.Fluff Lounge @ Jurong West
Dawn Yeo (9633 3232, www.dflufflounge.com)
*Flurry Bunnies (mobile service available, 10% donation to Bunny Wonderland)
Cheryl Chng (Whatsapp 8891 0991, Flurrybunnies@gmail.com)
My Happy Tales @ Kembangan
Clarris Ang (92270051, www.facebook.com/MyHappyTale)
YingXin (8182 1692, https://www.instagram.com/fluffbunnos/)
If you need help with transporting your pet rabbit to and from grooming locations, you can also contact our very own rabbit transport service BunnyGoWhere at 8323 2366 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.